Konrad-Adenauer-Ufer, 56068 Koblenz
The building dates from the 17th century. Elector Lothar von Metternich had the octagonal building with its profiled base built from 1609 to 1611 as a Rhine crane with the collaboration of Johann Pasqualini, master builder of the Jülich fortress. The building was used in this function until 1839. After the crane mechanics had been removed, it was used primarily as a gauging station for various business purposes. To the right of the entrance to today's café and restaurant with glazed roof, the flood marks from the various centuries can be seen. On the left side there is a blue gauge clock. The water level measured at the water gauge house is one of 22 water gauges relevant for Rhine navigation measured along the Rhine.