Close to the city wall on the Rhine side, citizens of Oberwesel built a Holy Spirit Hospital with a church as a civic foundation around 1300. The original size of the hospital and the church can no longer be determined due to the heavy overbuilding. Since the 14th century, facilities for the welfare of sick people have been built on the site again and again. Today, the Loreley clinics and the old people's home are located there. During the devastation of the town in the Palatinate War of Succession in 1689 by the troops of Louis XIV, the hospital and church were also destroyed. Around 1700, only the choir was rebuilt as a chapel. In accordance with the style of the time, it was given a baroque roof dome. The chancel of the chapel is built on the city wall. This romantic motif has attracted painters at all times. It is not clear since when the chapel, which like the hospital once bore the patrocinium of St. Spirit, has been called Werner's Chapel. Werner was never canonized by the Church. The name Werner Chapel evokes the memory of a severe persecution of the Jews in 1287, a dark chapter in the town's history.