Münzplatz, 56068 Koblenz
The Münzplatz, today an atmospheric venue for concerts, carnivals and major events, was only created after the demolition of the Electoral Mint in 1806. The baroque mint master's house, built in 1761/63, was preserved and used as a beer hall, police station and market hall. The group of figures in front of the building still reminds us of this today. Further buildings are the Reich Arcades from 1910 with an Art Nouveau wall painting by William Straube. This 1912 painted allegory on the gate building Im Paradies shows the passing of life and time as perpetual Memento Mori. The Metternicher Hof, founded in 1230, was built in 1674 as a new building for the von Metternich-Winneburg family and is the birthplace of the Austrian Chancellor Clemens Wenzeslaus Lothar von Metternich, the "coachman of Europe" and main actor of the Congress of Vienna. Like many other places in Koblenz, the buildings on the Münzplatz were considerably destroyed during the war, and only a few things remained visible or were reconstructed.