Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Margaretha

55413 Oberheimbach

The early Gothic pillar basilica in the center of the village dates back to the middle of the 13th century.

St. Margaret is still venerated as a martyr and helper. She is the patron saint of farmers, pregnant women, women in childbed and wet nurses. The church building does not seem extraordinary at first. However, the interior shows an extraordinary painting with floral and geometric ornamentation from the 19th century. It decorates the arched reveals of the pointed arch arcades and is considered the only completely preserved testimony of its kind in the Middle Rhine region. The church interior also houses a number of exceptional pieces of furnishings. The crucifix in the chancel was made around 1300, presenting a disproportionately small figure of Christ with a white body on powerful, dark wooden beams. The two Gothic figures - John the Baptist and Archangel Michael - from the 15th century each hold a cross staff. That of the Archangel pierces the figure of a devil at his feet, as imagined in the late Middle Ages. Worth seeing are other figures of saints, the Gothic wooden altar and the wooden emporiums. Worth hearing is the Stumm organ from the famous Sulzbach family of organ builders from 1864.

Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Margaretha

55413 Oberheimbach
Kath. Kirche
55413 Oberheimbach


Plan route