Zu den Burgen 1, 56341 Kamp-Bornhofen
Liebenstein Castle, built in the 13th century, and Sterrenberg Castle, which lies directly opposite, bear the name “The enemy brothers”. The two castles were in an irreconcilable state of enmity since 1320, after Sterrenberg Castle fell completely to the Archbishopric of Trier, and the lords of Liebenstein retreated completely to Liebenstein Castle. The erection of a massive shield wall at Sterrenberg Castle provides architectural documentation of how deep the ideological trench between the two groups was. In addition, Liebenstein Castle already served as a Ganerbenburg from 1340: Ganerben were noble families who lived together in castle complexes due to the distribution of an estate. Liebenstein Castle united several small castles of around ten families living in different buildings as a consortium.