Barockkirche St. Pankratius
Pankratiusring, 56154 Boppard
Baroque church of St. Pankratius History of the parish church of St. Pankratius in Herschwiesen There was probably already a chapel in Herschwiesen in the 10th century, which belonged to the parish of Boppard and was built in 992 by Emperor Otto III. was given to the Martinsstift in Worms. The Herschwiesen church is mentioned in a document in 1241, as well as in 1475 during a visitation of the diocese. Due to the growing population in the Niederkirchspiel, the then pastor Matthias Metzen pushed for a new building, which was approved on June 10, 1744 by the Tierer Elector and Bishop Franz Georg von Schönborn carried out under the direction of master builder Johann Neurohr from Tyrol. On September 26, 1747, the new parish church was consecrated. The construction costs amounted to 8162 Reichstaler, 28 Albus and 2 Pfennig. The church is equipped with a magnificent ciborium altar based on the type of the high altar in Worms Cathedral by Balthasar Neumann. Also noteworthy is the organ made in 1783 by the organ builder Peter Senff from Koblenz. The 14 station pictures of the Way of the Cross, which initially hung in the Carmelite Church in Koblenz, are by Januarius Zick from Koblenz. The baroque parish church is part of an ensemble with the rectory, the farm building with barn and stables and the parish garden, surrounded by a large quarry stone wall in the center of Herschwiesen.