Ev. Kirchengemeinde Koblenz-Mitte, 56068 Koblenz
The Florinskirche was the church of the dissolved canons' monastery of St. Florin and is today a Protestant parish church in the city centre.
The three-nave Romanesque nave with the two towers was built around 1100. Around 1200 the towers received late Romanesque gables. The Gothic period brought a new choir around 1350, which stands on the stump of a Roman city wall tower. Around 1467 the building between the towers was extended.
After French revolutionary troops occupied Koblenz in 1794, St. Florin was secularised in 1803 and used as a warehouse.
In 1807, at Napoleon's instigation, the church was even to be converted into a municipal slaughterhouse with stalls.
But this did not happen, as the Prussians took over the regiment in Koblenz in 1815 and King Frederick William III transferred the building to the Protestant military and civil community in 1818. It was consecrated in 1820 as a Protestant parish church and thus became the first Protestant church building in Koblenz. In the year 1899 the towers received their pointed tower helmets.
The interior of the nave is harmonious and clearly proportioned. Baroque putti in the corners remind us that the vault, which was only moved in in the 16th century, was restored in 1708 after its destruction in 1688. The vault above the baptismal font contains a cannonball. It was inserted here during the repair of the vault to commemorate the destruction of the city.