Feste Kaiser Alexander, 56075 Koblenz
The Lion's Gate is the impressive, crenellated work vector of the dissolved Prussian fortress of Emperor Alexander. The griffins on both sides of the portal, cast in the Sayner Hütte, and the large inscription give a good impression of the military and urban impression of the complex. To defend the town against enemies from the southwest, the construction of the fortress of Emperor Alexander, one of the largest single fortifications in Germany, was begun in 1817. The fortress had an almost square ground plan with a side length of about 500 metres on an area of 25 hectares.
In addition to the preserved fort of Grand Duke Constantine and the battery on the Hüberling, the Alexander system included the disappeared works of the Alexander entrenchment, the Moselle battery, the Moselle white entrenchment and the underground communication to Fort Constantine. In the Franco-German War of 1870/71, the fortress housed a prisoner-of-war camp for up to 10,000 men. Despite large expenditure of funds, it had to be abandoned in 1903, obsolete and damaged by groundwater. After the First World War the facility was almost completely sanded in 1920-22, only the Löwentor and the Reduit were preserved. The Hüberling battery was left to the city of Koblenz before 1903 and is now a memorial.
For the celebrations different subsequent uses were in the discussion, however, none of these plans came to the execution. After 1945, miserable quarters were set up in the Reduit, which were destroyed by blasting in 1964, as in many other fortifications. Even today, the streets on the Karthause are dominated by the former ramparts and the Löwentor (Lion Gate) greets every visitor on his way up.