An der Kreuzkirche 5, 56077 Koblenz-Ehrenbreitstein
On the hill of Ehrenbreitstein there is one of the most interesting architectural new buildings of the post-war period, the Church of the Holy Cross. The tent church is located in an old tradition that began with a chapel to an Augustinian hermit monastery. The neighbouring Heribert tower from 1572 still stands of this monastery. The large baroque church was built 1702-1707 by Johann Honorius Ravensteyn after Italian forms. The Electors residing in Ehrenbreitstein and Dahl used this sacred building as a burial place, visible from afar. On 31 December 1944 the church was completely destroyed by an air mine, only the crypt remained. Above the crypt Martin Ufer erected the tent church consecrated in 1965. The windows were made by Johannes Schreiter. Unfortunately, the new Kreuzkirche was closed in 2010 for economic reasons and profaned in 2017. The last burials, the hearts of the Trier Electors of Johann IX Philipp von Walderdorff and Franz Georg von Schönberg, were moved to the new parish church on Kapuzinerplatz in 2017.