Layer Bergweg, 56073 Koblenz-Lay
The Carola Tower stands on a hillside above the Lay district on the Moselle. This neo-Gothic lookout tower was built in 1896 by the Coblenz Embellishment Society according to plans of the Royal Prussian Building Council and City Building Council Friedrich Wilhelm Maeckler (1852-1913). Medieval town towers served as models for the region. The ground plan corresponds to a 5/8 polygon popular in the Gothic period. The walls were made of greywacke and slate quarry stone with basalt stone finishes. Further design elements are buttresses and battlements. The tower was named after the wife of the then mayor of Koblenz, Emil Schüller (1888-1900), who both strongly supported the construction of the tower to increase tourism.