Burg_Maus

Burg Maus

56346 St. Goarshausen-Wellmich

Scornfully referred to as ‘Mouse Castle’ by the Counts of Katzenelnbogen from the castle opposite. The derisive nickname seems inappropriate considering how strong the walls of the castle - built in 1355 - still appear to be today. In fact, this was a highly advanced piece of fortification architecture and was among the most technically sophisticated structures of its time. Burg Maus was restored in about 1900 and today it houses an interesting selection of furniture and other collections.

“Cat and mouse” behaviour is not only a popular expression: the disputes of the lords of castles of former years were also reflected in their building activity. So the “Mouse” Castle, known as Deuernburg, is ultimately a stronghold standing in opposition to “Cat” Castle, in the conflict of the counts of Katzenelnbogen with the Electorate of Trier. The Trier Archbishop Boemund II constructed “Mouse” in 1356 in St. Goarshausen-Wellmich - and it was from the beginning directed against Rheinsfel Castle which lay upstream and belonged to the said counts of Katzenelnbogen. The same counts did not stand the threat to their customs clearance in St. Goar through the new stronghold on the other side of the Rhine for long. They completed their castle Neu-Katzenelnbogen - later known as “Cat” Castle - as an unfriendly answer, even before 1371. The two bulwarks together count among the most well-known sights in the Rhine Valley. In contrast to the “Enemy Cat”, the “Mouse”, which is today open for special tours, offers an impression of mediaeval castle-building, with its reconstructed core building from 1900.

Burg_Maus
Burg Maus
Burg Maus am RheinBurgenWeg
St. Goarshausen-Wellmich mit Burg Maus

Burg Maus

From01.01.2020 until the 31.12.2020
56346 St. Goarshausen-Wellmich
Burg Maus
56346 St. Goarshausen-Wellmich

Phone: (0049) 6771 2303
E-mail: verwaltung@burg-maus.de
Web: http://www.burg-maus.de/

Plan route